Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What’s the buzz on green cars?

By Jack Fitzgerald

What’s the buzz on green cars?

One of the frequent questions I’m asked about as a car salesman is what my thoughts are about the changes in the automobile business; in particular, I’m often asked “what do you think about electric cars?”

Electricity is one of the least expensive alternative fuels that are capable of powering vehicles. In addition, you don’t have to convert every gas station to handle a new kind of fuel; you can plug your vehicle in at your home. We’ve done this in our organization by offering the A123 conversion kit to create a plug-in Prius. The results from our customers have been amazing; some of them have said they’re getting more than 100 mpg. A writer for Edmunds recently made some observations about where these can be installed on the Green Car Advisor. Here’s the link:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/2008/10/plug-in-conversion-kit-for-priuses-proves-a-hot-commodity-despite-frigid-economy.html

We’re just trying to do our part to meet the needs of customers. What’s the next generation of fuel technology? There’s so much going on, it’s hard to predict, but we believe it is right to listen to the customers and provide them with choices.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My home is an apartment building where I don't have an outlet to plug into. My parents have a single family home, but have to park on the street. Would they have to run a cord across their sidewalk from their house to the street?

Plug in technology only really works when the homeowner owns a garage.

FitzWay said...

Thanks for your post. I understand your sentiments, but I believe that as with all technological advances we will adjust with time. Perhaps there will be charging locations at street lights, or other community "plug in" stations. I plug a vehicle in and leave it outside today. Thanks again. -Jack

Anonymous said...

Please post some more information about the A123 conversion kit. I would like to know the price and the installation fee and if I can install it myself.

I'm having no luck searching your parts/service sites.

Thank you for carrying this kit, I've been waiting a long time for it.

All the best,
Wade

FitzWay said...

Hi Wade,

I just confirmed that Les Goldman from A123 will make a presentation at our Toyota Service Center on Saturday, April 18th from 10:00am to 11:00am. It's all part of our EarthDay the FitzWay events!I hope you can come by.